View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 05:15 AM   #22
caya

Hi Brenda,

There is no guarantee of anything in life, I think we are all prime examples of that. I personally never think of my health care as "free" because I pay high taxes, just as you pay insurance premiums. But I gladly pay the taxes so everyone in the country gets equal access to health care, at all times.
Yes, at times there are reports that the system here needs more money, but so does the system in the US, because many Americans have no kind of health insurance. And I have repeatedly stated, when someone is ill, they should not have to be wondering if they will receive treatment, or have to fill out many forms, fight with insurance companies for certain tests etc. I have seen on these boards and others how women cannot get certain scans, medicines etc approved by their insurance company without a fight, or like Brenda D, could possibly have her treatment curtailed. I shudder at this thought.
And look at all the paperwork involved - Brenda D needs Herceptin for one year, the world wide standard of care. It is enough she has to deal with the BC diagnosis, yet alone worry about getting the correct lifesaving treatment and having to get a social worker or advocate to contact Genetech. She, and all others like her in the same situtation, should be concentrating on getting well.
If the day comes when we have to pay "extra", I am sure most Canadians would accept this, if it keeps the status quo of the system's fairness. I would be more scared of the US system, in the state is in right now, because I am sure you would agree, Brenda, it is not working. Ask the 25 or 30 million + who have no medical insurance. Ask Brenda D.
And I will state once again, I know the system up here is not perfect, but I have to tell you, it's pretty close, with all things considered. The government here is working to make the universal health care system better, and the thing is it will be better for ALL Canadians, not just the ones with insurance.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote