View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #16
lkc Gumby

Re: Cognitive Rehabilitation

Hi ladies thank you all so much for sharing your experiences. It still amazes me that cognitive changes chemo are not just ignored but pretty much dismissed by the majority of the medical community. I was always so grateful to be alive, after my " dire" prognosis I felt a little brain damage was not biggie. After over 9 years I still walk into a room and can't for the life of me remember why. It usually comes to me after I stop and concentrate. I forget family names, when speaking I struggle for words. I researched chemo brain and found a great article, which I managed to send
to my DH. Stored it away safely, and of course, have no idea where it is!
Anyway, I am now faced with an earlier retirement because I am fully aware that my overall ability is impaired; I work as an executive. I do fear that earlier onset of senile dementia is possible. Overall I remain thankful for my restored health. I do think however the medical community should not only acknowledge that this adverse event of chemo, but also push for studies that will ultimately truly scientifically validate us and our symptoms.

Dxed Stage IIIC May 05, 12 pos nodes
er/pr -neg,Her -pos
LVI
Right partial mast & partial axillary dissection-June14,2005
Right modified mast-no clear margins- June 30, 2005
DD AC x4
Taxotere X4 with Herceptin
Rads x 35( 5 fields )
Left prophylactive mast( atypia & hyperplasia found ),
put on Tamoxifen x 1 yr; D/ced due to endometrial thickening
bilateral recon (saline implants)May 06
Nipple recon July 06