View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 07:22 AM   #14
AlaskaAngel

Thumbs up Re: Cognitive Rehabilitation

Hi Hopeful! Yes, that is the article -- thanks for reposting it here.

My job required mental speed, particularly spontaneous immediate use of very precise descriptive language. I now struggle far too long with the right concept in mind but no way to come up with the words for it until much later. As a self-employed person especially, the premature loss of my job skills has had a major impact on my life.

As part of the qualification process for a clinical trial in 2006 I had a brain MRI, which showed a small spot "normal for aging". I have not had a repeat brain MRI since then but with the continuing loss of facility, written clinical documentation of the episode I had during chemo seems possibly relevant to me as a patient although obviously it was not meaningful to my caregivers.

I also wonder what could have been the outcome for me at the time of the incident had I been driving or operating other machinery and suddenly lost my vision, even briefly, maybe in the middle of changing lanes in heavy traffic, or not being able to see a child on a bike just ahead? Without clinical documentation of such incidents as mine, it would be very difficult for anyone who has the same problem but at a more critical moment to handle the outcome. Who would believe them?
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote