View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 10:55 PM   #8
Lolly

Kim, now that you mention it I have had a few very mild, short episodes of itchiness on my back...so mild I didn't think about it too much, but as soon as I read your post my back started itching!!! Placebo effect?
I changed my appointment to April 22, we'll go in the afternoon and then have a nice evening and part of a day with our friends, then homeward bound.
Portland is a great little city, full of culture and flavor and gritty realism...Also has a pretty good museum, zoo, and Oregon Healty Sciences University where Herstatin was discovered and developed, now on the verge of Phase One trials...

"...The discovery of a naturally produced peptide called Herstatin, with the potential to treat several cancers, has spurred the launch of an Oregon Health & Science University spinoff company called Receptor BioLogix.
"It has the potential to treat a broader spectrum of cancers than Gleevec. It is estimated that 40 to 50 percent of cancers could respond to this," said Gail Clinton, a biochemistry and molecular biology professor at OHSU's medical school...

Unlike Herceptin, Herstatin is naturally occurring and targets more types of cancer--including gastric, pancreatic and prostate....

...Clinton holds 12 patents related to the Herstatin discovery. She expects the company will target gastric cancer for the first-round FDA approval because of its high fatality rate and lack of other treatments. Pancreatic and prostate cancer treatments would follow.

© 2003 American City Business Journals Inc.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote