View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 09:24 PM   #7
mamacze

Hi Eric and Lolly,
Lolly, I am sorry I will l miss you on the 11th, but I will send you warm thoughts and prayers. Please say hello to the "gang" for me. I envy you the short distance you travel...my daughter is dying to go to Portland Oregon, (we call her our "tree Hugger")..is it all that it is cracked up to be?
Eric, I picked the Seattle study because it seems like Mary Disis has been at this work for the longest time. I understand she first started with the vaccine in 1991. She is well funded and has a good reputation. She also has depth in her research team. She seems to be well regarded with the FDA; they approve her research protocols quickly and the breast cancer fund raisers also seem to respect her.
Frankly, I was leaning toward Larry Lachman's study at MD Anderson at first because I thought the use of a viral vector made more intellectual sense than a peptide vector (the Seattle group uses) for the vaccine; but Larry is still waiting for funding and is not ready to launch the Phase 1/II study yet.
Feeling "a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush", I applied for the Seattle study. Now that I have been out there 2 times, my hunches have been confirmed. If I understood Dr. Webster correctly, Dr. Disis has been at this since 1991...38% of her original group of women are still alive...she will be announcing the results of her work to date at the next ASCO study.
Oh, Lolly, I have been struggling with hives this month...how about you? I think mine are due to the penecillin I had to take for a UTI...time will tell....
Love Kim