View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #18
Debbie L.

Re: twice weekly aspirin use may decrease bc survivor's risk of metastasis by 62-71%

There have been quite a few observational studies that show an association between NSAIDs (including aspirin) and cancer behavior. But there are limitations to observational, retrospective studies. Gary Schwitzer does a nice job of discussing that in his blog:

http://www.healthnewsreview.org/blog...l-studies.html

tinyurl:
http://tinyurl.com/yzrz6s3

Personally, I think there's something here (but opinion is far worse than observational studies, laughing). And in small doses, allergies or major GI issues excepted, it seems like a "can't hurt, might help" kind of thing to take 81mg of aspirin, which we know may have other benefits also.

But I'm reminded by critical-thinking and experienced health advocates that this same study (Nurses Study, which I happen to be part of), is the one that had the strongest "evidence" for HRT use as cardioprotective and breast cancer safe. Which isn't to diss this particular study but to point out the potential failings of observational studies.

And while I'm at it, I'll add my own thoughts. IF it's true that NSAIDs affect cancer behavior (and as I said, I do think that it is true at least to some degree), then it seems to me that we need to look at all the AI studies with this in mind as a confounder. Most of the women I know who are on AI's have some degree of pain. And for that pain, most of them take Ibuprofen in varying amounts. That fact could be a big confounder in the AI studies. NSAID use could affect the cancer's behavior directly and/or it could be a marker for those who are metabolizing the drug most effectively (thus getting the most symptoms). Or, maybe the pain issue is totally random (in relation to efficacy/metabolism) BUT the use of the NSAIDs by those experiencing the pain makes it appear that the pain is a marker for efficacy (as reported by Jack Cusick in 08), when it's actually the NSAID use for the pain that's making the difference.

Phew, that's easier to think about in my head than to put on paper.

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote