Thread: Weight Gain
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
chrisy

I gained about 18 lbs during chemo and am still working on getting back to where I started (plus another about 15 lbs). My doctor said I was "lucky" as most women gain far more. OUCH! I was quite active for the first few months, walked over a mile daily, then as the time wore on, weather got worse, I got more fatigued, I didn't keep up with that program. So if you are able, try to keep as active as possible while still respecting what your body is telling you about overdoing it.

The other thing I did is I asked to have the dose of steroids reduced, which my doctor did, this may have contributed to my "good luck" of not gaining more! You might try this.

My "guru onc" told me, the old stereotype of losing a lot of weight on chemo was because they couldn't control the nausea OR the cancer! That put it in perspective for me.

True, it is in your best interest to be at a healthy weight, this applies whether or not you are getting chemo or fighting cancer. So do the best you can to stay active and eat "right" - which will help you in many ways. At the same time, don't forget you are going through a lot so be gentle with yourself.

Good luck and take care
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote