View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 12:07 AM   #36
Unregistered

Hello all. This is her son Bo. It's so hard to write this as she just passed this morning but upon clicking her shortcut and seeing just exactly how active she really was on this forum, how many supporters she had, and finding out just how much this forum and all the people on it meant to her I just want to thank you all for everything you've done to help her.

Her activity on this site I always considered somewhat of a private thing so I never asked for many details about the things she discussed with others. It made me feel good enough just come home and find her time and time again on the computer just a tapping away. Running off to the bedroom with a smile "I'm going to go post to my HER2 sisters!", she just enjoyed it so much. When she started to get weak, I asked her if she wanted me to post anything to her sisters here but she said she rather would wait until she had more energy. Knowing her, I imagine she just didn't want to alarm anyone.

During this time, my father pretty much abandoned his office and continued to work from home. He kept her fed with whatever she wanted, kept her hydrated, maintained her oxygen pump, her morphine drip and her bandaging. When he wasn't doing any of these things they were in the living room talking and reliving old times. My sister and I chipped in when needed and I kept up the kisses on her forehead. Those were her favorite.

I'm still uneasy about going through and reading her posts, but the few I have read talk about how much of a presence she was on this site, how much support she has given to others, how brave she was, how strong... Regardless of the Kleenex it calls for it's nothing new to me. The ladies at the cancer center all claim that she was the exact same way while getting her treatments. Here she is in the same situation as all the others that had to be there, yet always trying to help any patient she could with support, a good sturdy shoulder and whatever information she could provide in attempts to ease their worries. It was said that the employees who also provided support always felt better themselves when mom left.

Growing up with a mother like that you just never think this day is going to come. It did, but I'm OK for I have a lifetime of memories, lessons and smiles from a mother that, even into her last day, would always crack the biggest grin every time she would look up and focus on my eyes. Towards the end I was able to share great words with truly one of the greatest persons you could ever hope to have as a mother and friend.

Again, I thank you all for the support. She certainly had a willpower beyond imagination but the friends she made here helped to greatly lessen the load she seemingly never had any fear of carrying.

Here is a photo that was taken by my father while at the very campsite she used to visit with her family as a child. Sly Park in California. May she get the rest she deserves.