Thread: $2100???
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007, 07:05 PM   #6
Joy

I'll say it again

I love you guys. I do think, as Lolly said, that we may need to be the ones who advocate for change. As one of my best friends said, "You know, a lot of money, time and hard work goes into developing these drugs to help people with these diseases and yet no one can afford to buy them."

I am going to write a letter to the insurance company mentioning the fact that they seemed willing to cover herceptin weekly (not cheap) at 100%. So "WHAT UP?" with Tykerb. I'm also going to take them up on their offer of a nurse case manager, which I don't really need, but now maybe I'll have one central person.

And, of course, my AMAZING family is willing to help get me on this drug. Even my ex-husband said that he'd charge it to at least get started and hopefully the Patient Access Network Foundation will approve me and can help with most of this. Which all seems dumb because I do have insurance and I'm not wanting to take advantage of other programs that other people probably need more than me. But as I have felt like a loser all day that I can't buy my own meds, my friends and family have reminded me that virtually no one can pay $2100/month for meds.

Meanwhile the little cancer cells just go unchecked. And I'm frustrated and yet I know that people all over have much harder circumstances, much less help or even love and that really makes me sad. I'm one of the lucky ones. 'specially 'cause I have you guys.

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote