View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
alicem

My brother-in-law is my dentist and when I told him that I would be starting Femara soon, and that one of the side effects was bone loss, he told me "Absolutely do NOT take any of the biophosponates". He told me to find other ways to help prevent bone loss - mainly strength training and walking or running. Now he might have been referring to my specific case. I had to have a tooth extracted just one week prior to starting chemo. I needed a root canal, but there was not time to do it. They pulled the tooth and gave me a bone graft. I have been waiting until after chemo was finished to get a titanium implant. (They weren't sure how long it would take for the bone to take while I was doing the chemo.) Anyway, he told me that even one dose of an osteoporosis type of drug would do something to the bones in my gums that would prevent bone from ever growing there again. Basically he told me that I, personally, am at a great risk for this.
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote