View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 05:54 PM   #5
KDR

Re: boyfriend d/x with stage 4 cancer

v-ness,
I know exactly how you feel when you post with need, information, or something great to share and it doesn't seem acknowledged.
I don't visit here much these days, but checked in today, and I'm glad I saw your post. Life seems unfair sometimes, and you have had your share of serious challenges. Now someone you love is in need and hurting. You want it all to go away. I get it.
I just want to say I'm sorry that cancer has infiltrated your life again...but your boyfriend has much to gain from your insight and experience.
My doctor's wife had colon cancer with liver mets, in fact, her liver was described as a shriveled up piece of sponge-like material. That was 15 years ago. She had colon surgery and the chemo rid her liver of tumors and it is now fully regenerated and she is drug and disease free. I hope her story gives you a little hope.
Medically, you are in a good place with Dana Farber. I would also look into MART-10 Vitamin D infusions, as well as glutathione infusions (which eliminate or decrease neuropathy when on chemo). The MART-10 has shown great efficacy in stopping liver cancer cells in particular. Please google for more information on that. If you'd like the name and number of a hematologist/oncologist that specializes in alternative medicine and supplementation, please PM me.
Keep your head up.
Karen

Article
19-Nor-2α-(3-hydroxypropyl)-1α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 (MART-10) is a potent cell growth regulator with enhanced chemotherapeutic potency in liver cancer cells.

Kun-Chun Chiang

Chun-Nan Yeh

Huang-Yang Chen

Jim-ming Lee

Horng-Heng Juang

Miin-Fu Chen

Masashi Takano

Atsushi Kittaka

Tai C Chen
[more]
General Surgery Department of Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, Keelung, Taiwan.
Steroids (Impact Factor: 2.72). 08/2011; 76(13):1513-9. DOI:*10.1016/j.steroids.2011.08.006
Source: PubMed
ABSTRACT The discovery that the active form of vitamin D, 1α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D [1α,25(OH)(2)D] can modulate cellular proliferation and differentiation of cancer cells has led to its potential application as a chemotherapeutic agent to treat a variety of cancers. However, the use of 1α,25(OH)(2)D is limited due to its lethal side effect of hypercalcemia upon systemic administration. To overcome this drawback, numerous analogs have been synthesized. In this report, we examined the anti-proliferative activity of a new analog, 19-nor-2α-(3-hydroxypropyl)-1α,25(OH)(2)D(3) (MART-10), in HepG2 liver cancer cells, and studied the potential mechanisms mediating this action. We found that MART-10 exhibited approximately 100-fold greater activity than 1α,25(OH)(2)D(3) in inhibiting HepG2 cell proliferation as determined by cell number counting method. MART-10 was also approximately 100-fold more potent than 1α,25(OH)(2)D(3) in the upregulation of p21 and p27, that in turn arrested HepG2 cells at the G(0)/G(1) phase to a greater extent. Given that no active caspase 3 was detected and treatment with 1α,25(OH)(2)D(3) or MART-10 did not further increase the fractions of apoptotic and necrosis cells over the controls, the growth-inhibitory effect of 1α,25(OH)(2)D(3) and MART-10 on HepG2 cells may not involve apoptosis. Overall, our findings suggest that MART-10 is a good candidate as a novel therapeutic regimen against liver cancer. Further pre-clinical studies using animal models and the subsequent human clinical trials are warranted.
http://www.researchgate.net/publicat...r_cancer_cells [accessed Mar 28, 2015].
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote