View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
saleboat

Hi Marsha,

Welcome.

Wondering why you would consider removing your ovaries at your age? I assume you had an early stage cancer? Were you tested for BRCA, or do you have a family history of ovarian cancer?

I also confronted Her2+ breast cancer at a relatively young age. And for me, there is no way on earth, given my age and lack of family history of ovarian cancer that I would have my ovaries removed. There are potentially serious health conseqences to removing them (heart, bone, potentially cognitive issues), and given that there is NO PROVEN benefit to doing so (as far as preventing the recurrence of breast cancer) I have not gone that route. Not to mention the quality of life issues.

Some, at our ages, have had their ovaries removed because of a family history of ovarian cancer or a genetic predisposition to the disease.

It may seem to 'make sense' that removing one's ovaries would be a good thing--remove any hormones that are out to fuel the cancer-- but if we relied on what seems to make sense, rather than medical evidence, we'd all still be getting super duper radical masectomies and high dose chemo and stem cell transplants-- two cancer treatments that were widely used on patients without sufficient medical evidence that were later proven to be ineffective-- after much damage had been done to women.

Good luck. Please keep asking questions.

Jen
(IVF in between surgery and chemo)
tx dd A/C, followed by dd Taxol & Herceptin
30 rads (or was it 35?)
Finished Herceptin on 7/24/06
Tamox
livingcured.blogspot.com

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow." -- Helen Keller
saleboat is offline   Reply With Quote