View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #11
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
KNOWINGS, Expectations and Assumptions

This is such essential information, ladies. When you can, please give this a read. I had to share...

I'm reading THE UNTETHERED SOUL. A #1 New York Times bestseller.

It begins speaking of THE VOICE INSIDE YOUR HEAD. So it immediately got my attention. I KNOW not to listen to that voice. I'm sure I've mentioned that. I consciously choose instead to go with my heart, my Inner Voice at my core, what I call Spirit.

The author, Michael Singer, explains "you have a mental dialogue going on inside your head that never stops". Can you relate?!

He examines the voice, urges us to get to know it better.

It's you who's talking and it's you who is listening. Hmmm... "When the voice is argues with itself, who is it arguing with? Who could possibly win?..."

Your Truest Self witnesses the never-ending diatribe. YOU are not the voice in your head. That voice seems to dictate how you are going to feel emotionally about what's going on. It judges what happened in the past and what might go on in the future. Full of "what ifs". That voice causes a commotion. When there's a buildup of nervous, fearful or desire-based energies inside, the voice becomes extremely active.

The voice in your head narrates the world for you. That makes you feel more comfortable.

You're free to express whatever thoughts you want. Do you know you have an override button??? This inner world is under YOUR control. Perspective is key. I say -- use that Awareness wisely.

Instead of simply assessing, judging, complaining, fearing -- you can consciously choose to calmly LET IT PLAY OUT... Step back. Become The Witness. Detach. Observe. Hold on...

We're all accustomed to using that dialogue in our heads to deal with what's causing us to lose ourselves in the an outer situation. But we can awaken to new ways of being!

You can live in your mind. Or you can live in your heart. Aligned with your Spirit, which is a sacred entity and occupies and holy space.

Watch your problems rather than becoming lost in them. You will get nowhere fast if you are lost in the energy of a problem! That will only succeed in making you more anxious, scared or angry.

The main problem is how you react. Consciously choose instead to respond. Own how the situation affects you inside. Reboot. Rule your inner domain.

You can stop talking to yourself about yourself all day. In silence you can become still, "stand on the threshold of a fantastic inner journey".

"The source of all worry, distraction and general neurosis can
become the launching ground for true spiritual awakening."

Singer called the voice in your head "your inner roommate" who will never be happy and will always be a problem. Notice the inner disturbance. You are not the disturbance. That voice is.

Your inner roommate won't want to cooperate. It has something to say about everything. Resist feeling hypnotized by that incessantly droning voice. Your roommate never shuts up.

"...realize you've been locked (inside your head) with a maniac!" That makes you tense and uncomfortable for sure.

There you are trying to live a peaceful, meaningful life and you're stuck with a roomie who could freak out at any moment. That voice makes a melodrama out of everything.

It jumps from one subject to another, chattering neurotically. Once you stop and notice this -- you will want to be free!

Your inner roommate is your psyche. "Did you turn off the light downstairs? You better go check. Not now, I'll do it later. I want to finish watching the show. No, do it now. That's why the electric bill is so high". Singer helps us see the non-stop conflicting dialogue that we actually live with.

Get as far away from this disturbed person (your inner roommate) as you possibly can. I know it's stuck in your head. So if your inner roommate were an actual person you'd probably learn to ignore them. They could drive you nuts! See how often this person changes their mind, how conflicted they are on so many subjects, how emotionally overreactive they tend to be?? You wouldn't put up with a friend who gave you so much bad advice and caused you to suffer so often.

You can't trust that voice in your head! Fire your inner roommate. Hold it responsible for all the trouble it causes. Get rid of that troublemaker. Free yourself. Only YOU can do that.

Your will is stronger than the habit of listening to that voice.

Do this "as if your life depended on it, because it does", Michael Singer informs us wisely.

Otherwise your life is not your own. It belongs to your inner roommate, the psyche. "This is your life -- reclaim it".

To me, "will" equals Spirit. Let it empower you.

I am loving this book, THE UNTETHERED SOUL...

ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote