View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
IrvineFriend

Re: Effexor for hot flashes

There have been some pretty hot debates about Effexor if you do a search. I currently take 75 mg. I'm one of the few percentage of women that have extreme side effects from menopause. Had about one every 10 minutes (that was a good day too) which resulted in vomiting A LOT. Feeling hot was a nuisance, but having my head in the toilet all day long at work was debilitating. A couple things that are my experience:
1) Effexor seemed to wire me, so I take it in the AM. Could be the opposite for you.
2) You can't miss a dose; my dear boyfriends knows if I'm just a couple hours since my last days dose. So no sleeping in and taking it when I wake up on the weekends. He said I get really contrary and he can tell right away.
3) Not sure what people do if they're sick/vomiting on Effexor. I'm a pretty happy person and I was having suicidal thoughts after forgetting to take it a couple mornings. The discontinuation syndrome of Effexor is supposed to be the worst of these meds.
Unless your symptoms are really bad, I would opt for something else. Haven't noticed alcohol having an effect or not.
Good luck,
-Julie

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote