View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
LoriG

Bilateral pleural effusions

Hi all,

A little background....I have stage IV IBC with only a cross axillary metastatic lymph node making me stage IV. Up until now my organs have been clear. I have been NED since surgery April 2010. I was on Tykerb/Xeloda for a year and went off Xeloda in December., I remain on Tykerb and Tamoxifen. I have had some lung changes on Pet/CT and CT chest in both Septmeber of 2010 and December of 2010 that appeared to possibly be related to chemo induced pneumonitis. Both my onc, my rad onc, and a radiologist did not think the changes looked like mets. I have also had small pleural effusions that have come and gone. This entire time I have been completely asymptomatic, working out 5 days a week doing intense aerobic-type exercise.

Two weeks ago my whole family including myself had a nasty virus....cough/fever, etc. SIcne that time I have been exertionally SOB. I was pretty sure this was related to a pleural effusion as I also can not breathe when laying flat or leaning over. Yesterday I had a chest x-ray and I have moderate bilateral/symmetric pleural effusions. Obviously I need a tap and need the fluid analyzed. The thought is that the effusion is either malignant or possibly chemo/radiation-induced pneumonitis. I did have twice a day radiation to both chest walls so I was hit pretty hard with rads last year. I finished rads in June, however, and I think most pleural effusions associated with radiation occur within 6 months of radiation.

Anyone want to share some positive stories about pleural effsuions that turned out not to be malignant. Anyone had bilateral pleural effusions? I think malignancy is the most likely cause at this point although it does seem a bit odd that I have effusions on both sides that are pretty equal.

Thanks, everyone. Hope you all have a nice weekend.

Lori
*Taxol x4 with weekly herceptin
*Breast MRI 12/09- no improvement
*PET scan 12/09- no evidence of mets
*Tykerb/Xeloda 12/09
*Bilateral MRM 4/10
*Twice daily rads to both chest walls and both axillas 5/10-6/10
*9/10 PET/CT- NED
*Tykerb/Xeloda until 12/10
*Tykerb and Tamoxifen 12/10-current. Bye bye Xeloda
*2/11- malignant pleural effusions bilaterally (likely lymphangitic lung mets) and skin mets
Herceptin and Ixempra
LoriG is offline   Reply With Quote