View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
Mtngrl

Update on My Lungs, Part Two

As I imagine is true for you, every time I see an NP, MD, or treatment RN I am asked if I have any pain. For many months I have been reporting pain in my back, on the right side, along the rib cage. It comes and goes, and it's usually pretty low level, but it's in the same area that hurt like the dickens when I had pneumonia last June. Since then I have also frequently reported pain in the right side of my face--tooth ache, jaw pain, ear ache. For awhile I also had a mild infection in my right eye. They said to massage it and hold warm compresses on it. (That did help.) At the end of August when I reported pain in my upper jaw they said to go to the dentist. I went, and he said my teeth were fine.

The night of December 17 I had chills and fever. It was very cold and snowy, so I decided not to call the oncologist's office, because I knew they'd tell me to come in, and I didn't want to go out in the storm. I took Ibuprofen, the fever broke, and I slept for 4 hours. Then it came back, I did the same thing, and this time the fever didn't come back. I had treatment 2 days later, and my blood counts were fine.

The Thursday before Christmas I noticed that one of my teeth hurt when I chewed. Then the pain started wandering--ear ache, jaw pain, tooth ache. I was also having that pain on the right side of my back, but more severe this time. I had to take 800 mg of Ibuprofen every 8 hours to function at all. By 12/27 I realized (a) the pain was breaking through the Ibuprofen and (b) pain is a symptom, so perhaps I should look into causes. I saw my PCP, got diagnosed with a sinus infection, and started on Augmentin.

Here's the kicker: I have radiation pneumonitis, which makes my O2 drop and my heart rate soar if I move my body at all. I'm on Prednisone for that, and it's better than it was. I test my oxygen saturation and pulse pretty frequently with one of those little devices you clip on a finger tip. Yesterday I noticed my O2 and heart rate are dramatically better. I've also quit coughing. And I can breathe deeply without triggering a coughing fit.

What if some of what was lighting up on my last PET scan was a low-grade infection in my lungs, now getting cleared up with an antibiotic? What if I hadn't gone to see my PCP? He even said that the way the sinus cavity is situated, people often get sent to a dentist first, when the real problem is a sinus infection. That happened to me--but almost 4 months went by before the infection was diagnosed and treated.

You can have more than one thing wrong with you, even with one part of your body. Symptoms can overlap. When I told my oncologist my jaw hurt she said it didn't sound like cancer. Really? I didn't say I thought it was cancer. I was answering a question. She's a doctor. She was trained to diagnose all kinds of conditions. Since I'm a cancer patient, my oncologist is, in a very real sense, my primary care provider. I wish she were a little more open to exploring other causes for my symptoms. (I have a new oncologist, and based on our one meeting so far I am hopeful that she will be.)

I didn't have fevers (except that one night), wasn't getting headaches, didn't feel especially sick, so I walked around for months with a low grade sinus infection and quite possibly chronic low grade pneumonia with no one picking up on the pattern until I finally did.

I know no one is more interested in keeping me healthy than I am, but sometimes I feel really alone in this business of living with "cancer as a chronic illness." On the other hand, all's well that ends well.

Anybody else? Have you had health issues that may have been missed, by you or your providers, because we mostly just think in terms of direct effects of cancer?
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote