View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
Rich66

Re: Tykerb assistance?

Access programs from pharma seem to vary from country to country. The deal the UK gets makes a kind of sense in that a patient might be able to start more immediately and find out if the drug is helpful before NHS is on the hook for it. I suppose it's one of those cost shifting scenarios where specific arrangements are possible here and there but eventually the $$ needs to come from somewhere...usually the US.
But you would think oral meds with no cost of IV facility, staff or premeds would be aggressively embraced. (Here's where GDPawel would mention IV drug incentives for doctors Interesting article on access HERE. Interesting thoughts on expiration dates, Nancy.

There is a GSK entity named "Tykerb Cares" but it is not a financial assistance program. They help patients determine their insurance coverage and, if inadequate, tell you about various assistance programs to apply for. GSK does have a commitment to access program that can be applied for but I don't know how that will work out or how long it will take. Novartis has a simple program/coupon for a free month of Femara which has allowed mom to get going on that while ironing out coverage issues. That kind of approach with Tykerb would be a reasonable middle ground.
I've heard somewhere that some hospitals/clinics pool their unused onco meds but I haven't heard of that around here.
I'm glad Tykerb is working long term for you. Helps motivate me to push through the red tape.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote