View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #3
Nancy L

Re: Tykerb assistance?

Rich, I have often wondered the same thing and think how wasteful it is for expensive medication to go to the landfill. I know most doctor's offices will not take the pills you can no longer take and dispense to others--liability issues they tell me. The other thing that disturbs me these days is that the pharmacies all put an expiration date of one year on prescriptions. They do this because it is easy for them----don't want to look up or maintain a database of the "real" expiration dates. Most meds have a minimum of two years and many are much longer than that. If Medicare wants to save money on meds, you would think they would demand this practice be changed.

And as for GSK, if they don't offer the three months free trial in the states and do in the rest of the world, this should also be changed.

As I understand the health care changes (mostly negative in my opinion), the donut hole is being fixed so you may not have this problem next year. Tykerb is expensive---around $3K a month I believe.

Another thought---maybe you could contact GSK directly and discuss options. I did this with Astro Zeneca for my sister when Faslodex was first approved. It was a fight but I eventually got what I wanted---I think they might just have wanted to get rid of me but that's okay.

I wish I had some pills to send your mom but Tykerb is still working for me after 15 months.
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote