View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
AlaskaAngel

Status Quo, Vitamin D Recommendations

"Reference Intakes

Intake reference values for vitamin D and other nutrients are provided in the Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs) developed by the Food and Nutrition Board (FNB) at the Institute of Medicine of The National Academies (formerly National Academy of Sciences) "

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp

"The FNB established an expert committee in 2008 to review the DRIs for vitamin D (and calcium). The current DRIs for this nutrient were established in 1997, and since that time substantial new research has been published to justify a reevaluation of adequate vitamin D intakes for healthy populations. Determinations of DRIs are based on indicators of adequacy or hazard; dose-response curves; health outcomes; life-stage groups; and relations between intakes, biomarkers, and outcomes. For vitamin D, the FNB committee will focus on (1) effects of circulating concentrations of 25(OH)D on health outcomes, (2) effects of vitamin D intakes on circulating 25(OH)D and on health outcomes, and (3) levels of intake associated with adverse effects [21]. The FNB expects to issue its report, updating as appropriate the DRIs for vitamin D and calcium, by May 2010 [22]."

So I then went to the FNB website to see what they said in May, 2010...:

http://www.iom.edu/Activities/Nutrit...tDCalcium.aspx

"Project Timeline
This is a 24 month study. The committee's report is expected to be publicly available October/November 2010. "

So..... until then, the range is what it has been since 1997...

As someone who lives in the northern nothern hemisphere but who bares the skin as much as possible plus supplementing with the recommended 400 IU, my level was in the low 30's. Since the recommended current range allows plenty of room for me to supplement, I'm taking 1,000 IU's a day on days when I don't get much sunshine. I hope to be retested in August to see if I have improved, and how much. My suspicion is that I could be taking even more.

A.A.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote