View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 05:21 PM   #21
marymary

Herceptin + Arimidex

I was diagnosed in 4/2002 at the age of 42. Large ER+, PR-, HER2+++ tumor w/mets to skin of affected (L) breast.

3 rounds neo-adjuvant A/C
mets continued to grow

Immediate left modified radical mastectomy -
13/13 positive nodes
6 months of Taxotere with i.v. Decadron to inhibit extreme allergic response
5,000 rads of radiation
Oopherectomy in February of 2003
Begin taking Arimidex immediately thereafter

Diagnosed in 4/2005 with two small brain mets, otherwise NED
Gamma knife 5/2005
Began taking weekly Herceptin
Discussed with Oncologist the possibility of staying on Arimidex. He stated that one could argue the Arimidex had failed, due to the presence of two small brain mets. However, I could also argue that since Arimidex may not cross the blood brain barrier, it had been extremely effective in my body but only "failed" in the part of the body it could not adequately infiltrate. Oncologist suggested that studies had been conducted which had not specifically demonstrated increased effectiveness with the combination of Herceptin & Arimidex. Theoretically, one could hypothesise that Herceptin would block the HER2 pathways, and the A/I would block the estrogen pathway and would be a very powerful one-two punch. In small studies, however, there was only a small advantage to the combination.

I like any advantage, however small, and seized it. I have been on Arimidex + Herceptin since metastatic diagnosis and remain NED. Only one lesion is visible on MRI and continues to shrink with each and every MRI. Most likely is necrotic.

I am still trying to get into the U of W vaccine trial and continually seek any promising treatment I can find.

Mary-

You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.

Winston Churchill
marymary is offline   Reply With Quote