View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
AlaskaAngel

Re: Weight Gain, No loss - Due to Tamoxifen?

The problem of weight gain following treatment hasn't gotten much attention by treatment providers. My impression is that while medications may have some impact, the weight gain is mostly the result of slowing of the metabolism due to the initial treatment.

I was frustrated and baffled too because pre treatment I only had to exercise twice a week for less than half an hour to maintain and not gain, and then after treatment initially I had to cut my diet in half and increase my exercise just to maintain and not gain. With time it got even worse -- really miserably impossible.

I saw an endocrinologist, who by blood analysis and lab results said I was eating exactly the right things in the right quantities, and he suggested increasing my exercise to TWO hours a day, seven days a week.

Although the labs showed clearly that I am not diabetic, I requested a low dose of metformin. I still have to exercise 1 hour a day 7 days a week to maintain and not gain, but that is so much better than having to focus my life around endless exercise with no weight loss.

You can't go back to eating many carbs, but the metformin may help you to live and eat a little more "normally". Get your blood sugar level tested and consult with a health care provider.

AlaskaAngel
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote