View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
Laurel

Diannes,

Sorry, I didn't see your post. For some reason the threads I post on are not being emailed to me as others follow up or respond. Don't know if it is an Outlook problem or what. Danged annoying!

Anyway, my nose troubles. I was so irritated 2 weekends ago because the Wisteria was in bloom outside my bedroom window and didn't I go and sleep with the window open and breathe the pollen all night. When I awoke my throat was a scratchy, sore mess, and my nose was equally affronted. I used Zicam for 2 days which seemed to help me get a handle on it. I was slated for my nipple recon that Monday, so I was praying it would resolve. When they asked if I had a cough or sore throat, I could honestly answer the nurse that I did not. Well, in truth I still had the cough and some lingering lung congestion, but since I wasn't having gas I decided she did not need to know! Ha! Nothing was getting between me and my new nipples!

My son uses Zyrtec for his seasonal allergies with good effect. His eyes are a mess this year. Your symptoms sound like his. I think we may have hyper-sensitive immune systems while on Herceptin. Pollen and other allergens assault our immune response systems and they respond defensively. I am wondering if it is indeed a terrible year for allergies and in light of the Herceptin treatment, perhaps we are even more susceptible to the irritants in the air?

I suggest trying Zyrtec for your sinus problems after checking with your Onc. I doubt there will be a objection. Good luck, Diannes.

By the way, I read your post where you expressed the notion of ending your Herceptin treatment prematurely due to SEs. I encourage you to try to see if yours is not a seasonal allergy problem, perhaps worsened by Herceptin before you drop the program. Her2, as Brenda said, is not something to be trifled with. It is a killer and Herceptin is its number one enemy.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote