View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
Karen Wheel

Re: Just started Tykerb/Xeloda and worried this combo won't work either :-(

Well, I know that losing weight is something that happens when you eat veg and fruit (Her2 made me become a vegan) but .... if you read much on diet and beating cancer with food - almost all say that you have to eat a ton of veg and give up animal products ... ALL! I still have a tablespoon or so of grated parmesan on my whole wheat pasta (a good one for adding weight!) or whole wheat rice --- And I sometimes have a tiny bite of meat just to taste it - but for the most part I eat veg, beans, nuts and whole grains. I have lost almost 30 pounds (needed to lose it!) and keep losing a bit every month. It has been a year (this month) since my surgery - and I feel great actually. I miss the big steaks and meat - but I know I can't eat them and ward off the threat of cancer again in my life. I want to lessen my odds of the Her2 coming back. I do this by controlling the pH of my body (cancer can't grow in a pH neutral environment) so I struggle with trying to stay in neutral.
You can also try a non-hormone type of protein drink?

Also, I am reading a great book by a cancer nutritionist and Phd - he has a shake he puts together to help cancer fighters gain weight ---

Beating Cancer with Nutrition - by Patrick Quillin PhD, RD, CNS

Another good one is:
Cancer Battleplan Sourcebook - by David Frahm

And anything on Gerson. They are much more strict on the diet - but if I have any sort of cancer come back I would go on their diet - its really hard but I think it has a lot of merit in saving lives!

Also - someone on this site had a Herbal cure for the hand issues - think it was Henna or something like that it turned the hands redish but it really worked good, if I remember correctly - maybe you can search for it.

If you want more info (I have a ton!) send me an email to: wheelistic@yahoo.com

:-)
Live long -live strong!
Karen
3-09 – Right Quadrantectomy. Clear margins.
3 lymph nodes taken - all clear
Tumor results: Stage 1, 1.5 cm, Her2 +++
Est positive 80% - Prog 10% - Ki67 postive 30%
4-09 – Became a vegan! pH balance of body - cancer can't grow in neutral pH!
4-09 Started Herceptin & Chemo (9 weeks of Navelbine *)
* FYI - when coupled with Herceptin has the same results as more toxic chemo. No brainer!
8-09 - 30 RADS
9-09 - Said NO to hormone therapy
4-10 Finished Herceptin!!!!

7-10 PET Scan & other exams .... All clear! YIPPEE!!!!
11-10 Breast, organ Ultrasounds and lung x-rays all clear no changes ... NED!

2-25-2011 --- 2 years from surgery and NED!!!!!!
7-2011 Clear bone scan and full body and head MRI! NED! NED! NED! ;-)[/SIZE]
Karen Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote