View Single Post
Old 11-24-2004, 07:08 PM   #1
dede

In late Jan, early Feb of 2003, I found a lump in my breast...only it was huge!(Turns out it was 8cm x 10 cm) Me, being the good nurse I am, panicked & told my husband, who is also a nurse. He insisted I see the doctor, and I insisted I was just fine, it was too big to be anything but a cyst (or so I told everyone.)

My husband bugged me everyday about making an appointment & everyday I said I would. Finally he said either I made the appointment, or he would. I made it. The appointment was for the last week in Feb, on a Wed. I saw the doc & the wanted to do a mamogram as soon as possible, so had an appointment by that Friday. I almost fainted from the pain!!!

The next Thursday, I was heading to a surgeon to have him look at my left breast. I was not thrilled with this little meeting-here was a surgeon who I had never met, and he was going to look at my breast! Anyway, he wanted to do a biopsy, and I started to get up so I could make the next appointment. He said to Lie down-we are doing this now. He didn't even give me a chance to think it over!

By March 21st, I was seeing the onc, and thinking I would get a little chemo & leave....things are just never that easy, is it??

Well, on the 28th, I found out I was stage 4, Her2+++. I had 6 tumors in my liver & To be honest, can hardly remember anything else that was said. I had chemo, that day, epirubicin & taxatere every 3 weeks forever-but my last dose was in July. I started on Herceptin in August, every 3 weeks. In Jan we found a lymph node which was misbehaving, but wanted to wait 3 mos just to make sure. In April, I started Gemzar with the Herceptin. I came off the Gemzar at the end of July, and have had herceptin every since.

I had ct scans today, & have to wait til Monday for results. I am a little stressed.

I am a nurse, and have had no history of breast cancer in my family. Rarely any cancer...my dad did die of lung ca. I breast fed, and did everything I could do to be healthy, so this was a huge shock to me! No I didn't get mamograms, nor even worry so much about checking...just never thought I would get it.

Now, I tell everyone to never take your health for granted!!!!!!!!!!