Thread: Liver Enzyme ?
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
AlaskaAngel

Re: Liver Enzyme ?

Hi Pink Girl,

They bounce around during treatment, and can continue for a while after treatment is done before gradually simmering down. (I know you have been out of treatment for some time but want to say that for those who don't know your history and are comparing their own with yours in thinking about your question.)

Middle-aged women in general often have elevated liver enzymes so it is common in general completely separate from breast cancer, and with breast cancer happening mostly for middle-aged and older women, it can coincide. It is more common with significant alcohol use. Some drugs can cause elevated liver enzymes too.

How elevated they are, and whether they stay that way over time, is important to track. If they are not just mildly elevated and they pretty much stay that way then there is more concern about them. It is important to understand that there are other causes for them, especially at middle age.

Although my copy is not recent, The Liver Disorders Sourcebook by Howard J. Worman, M.D. was helpful to me.

Hope that helps.

AlaskaAngel
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote