View Single Post
Old 01-16-2006, 06:43 AM   #10
Sheryl

Herceptin- to use or not

I share similar concerns since I am now 20 months out from my last chemo treatments. My oncologist suggested a year of Herceptin after the news from ASCO this past summer '05. At that time it had been 15 mo.since my chemo ended. I was concerned about cardiac risks,etc.& had many consults with other MDs & even contacted Genetech directly about the risks. There were differeing opinions re: effectiveness of Herceptin that long after chemo. I contacted leading experts in Finland & Belgium- both MDs mentioned that Herceptin efficacy might be due to using it with or shortly after chemo. Therefore, at present I have not taken Herceptin & am not sure it would be worth the risk of side effects since it might not be a sure thing anyway. There is no info re: long term effects or how Herceptin protects past the time it is given. I rercently read about a C-myc gene which might influence one's response to Herceptin. Has your oncologist mentioned this gene? I would like to stay in touch with you. Sheryl
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote