View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #22
'lizbeth

Re: Iodine deficiency ! - falling intakes - goitregens - competition bromine and fluo

R.B.

I suspected you were going to come back and point out that the broccoli, kale etc were brassicas. I was aware they had a goitrogenic effect. The folks in the ENERGY study like to demo meals with Kale (and Salmon). It feel obligated to eat it.

An acupuncturist told me that I should cook all my vegetables, not to eat them raw, and it would help me to lose weight. I just accepted it as part of the TCM 8 Principles theory (hot vs cold, excess vs deficient). Now you helped me see the western principle of reducing the goitrogen effect by cooking.

I have never thought of fruits as goitrogens. I stopped using canola oil and switched to olive oil or grape seed oil.

I appreciate the information about the LDL/iodine connection. I'm not familiar and am reading about it with great interest. My new PCM is very focused on lowering cholesterol, and LDLs. I would prefer to use diet to correct health problems. But it is also difficult to decide what to eat or drink. The most effective “diet” I ever did was Michael Thurman’s. I find when I eat grains, breads, pastas – the weight goes on. Lean meats and steamed veggies – the weight comes off.

Until the city added fluoride to the water and a few months later I developed alarming pain in the other breast I didn't pay much attention to iodine. Taking the kelp was a shot in the dark that paid off big time. Thanks heavens for Dr. Google. I take about 225 mcg of iodine daily from an Icelandic Kelp supplement.

Every few years my doctors had run a test for the thyroid and everything was within their norms. I take that as a sign that I was likely deficient in iodine. The Breast Health clinic checked B vitamin levels, but was not familiar with checking iodine levels for mastalgia.

I suppose I should add some ocean wild caught fish to the shopping list . . .
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote