Thread: sicko by MM
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
caya

Yes Vanessa - I'm with Pink, we would revolt.

This topic has been discussed before, and as a Canadian who has lived here all my life, I will restate my opinion on the Canadian Health Care System - it is not perfect, I am the first to admit that. However, it does provide equal access to all citizens, from everyday checkups at your GP, to getting second opinions with any doctor YOU choose, not just who is in your "network",to covering Herceptin treatments for us Her2neu+ BC patients. No fights with insurance companies, no co-pays etc. No insurance company has ever dictated to me what tests/scans I get - my oncologist, breast surgeon and I make those decisions.

Yes, we pay high taxes - but I feel it is well worth it. The stress of dealing with my DH's brain aneurysm and my BC dx within 9 months of each other was devastating enough, I cannot imagine having to worry about paying for treatment, or not seeing the drs. we personally wanted to. We got topnotch treatment in a timely manner at world class hospitals. We also never have to worry that if you lose your job, you lose your health care insurance - another stressful situation.

Yes, you will hear about how some surgeries are delayed etc. up here in Canada due to long waiting lists - but these are the few exceptions to the rule. We can't have everything - immediate surgeries, world class doctors/equipment etc. and equal access for all without something giving in occasionally. And most people realize that and this is being looked at by our government. But I'd rather have it this way - I did not have to fill out one form or answer to anybody during my entire course of treatment.

After my husband's brain surgery, he spent 6 nights in a neuro ICU, and when he came home a nurse/social worker was sent in every week to monitor his progress and did cognitive testing with him. After my mastectomy a nurse came every day to change my dressing for about 3 weeks and help me with my drains. This was all covered by the health care system. I had meetings with nutritionists, psychologists, social workers etc. - all covered.

I can only speak of my own experiences, again I fully acknowledge it is not a perfect system, but I think most Canadians are happy with the care they get.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote