View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Mary L

Red face Re: sudden allergy to herceptin????

I always had Benadryl before my Herceptin. On one of my Herceptin visits, the nurse didn't give it to me. I asked her why and she said well, you have been receiving Herceptin for several years and we don't think you need the Benadryl anymore. I had all of the symptoms that you discribed. I felt like I had an Elephant sitting on my chest. They called my onc who's office is right down the hall. He was furious with this nurse. I always got my Herceptin at a 2 hour drip. One day another nurse gave it to me in 1/2 hour. I ended up in the ER. I definately had an allergy to Herceptin but my onc took precautions. By the way, the nurse that said I didn't need Benadryl doesn't work there anymore. Hope they can figure it out as Herceptin is such a miracle and has saved my life and many, many others. Best Wishes, Mary L
Mary L from PA Diag: Oct 2003 w/6mm mass, IDC grade III ductal carcinoma in-situ, IBC stage IIIB. tx A/C followed by Taxotere(only able to have 2 tx, allergic), mastectomy, 3 0ut of 7 positive nodes. 35 rads. Recurrence 9 months later, skin mets to mastectomy site. Tx Carboplatin/Herceptin. Stayed on Herceptin almost 5 years, had 3 more recurrences when I had to stop Herceptin due to my ejection fraction getting too low. Herceptin stopped and ned 3 years in Oct. 2010.
Mary L is offline   Reply With Quote