View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
bejuce

When to tell the patient the truth

Dear beloved HER-2ers,

I'm dealing with a difficult situation at home and I need your input on how I should proceed. My father, who was diagnosed with bladder cancer in 1994 that recurred in 2001 and 2011, has in a period of what it seems to be a few weeks, been diagnosed with mets to his liver and peritonium. He was admitted to the hospital this week after his first chemo (Gemzar/Carboplatin) last week with some rectal bleeding.

Doctors did an endoscopy, blood work, and colonoscopy and determined that he has mets in his colon as well. We're dealing with a very, very aggressive cancer here.

My mom and sister have asked the doctor not to tell him about this latest development. I am stunned at this as my father and sister are both doctors (they live in Brazil) and knowing my father, I'm sure he would like to find out the truth from his doctor and participate in his care decisions. Having gone through my cancer experience here, I've learned to be my own advocate and always ask the doctors questions and work with them to identify the best course of action. My sister and mom want to withhold all information from my dad at this point, thinking that this is better for his state of mind. I think there are cultural and social issues at play here, and I feel powerless over this. I told my mom that I didn't agree with their decision, but given that I'm here thousands of miles away, there's not much I can do.

I've asked my mom to talk to the doctors about radiation, but she thinks we shouldn't be asking or telling the doctors anything as we're not doctors and don't know any better.

Has anyone dealt with anything like this before? If part of your family is pushing to withhold information from the patient, what do you do?? I feel so powerless that I'm not there to act on his behalf....

Thanks!!!

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote