View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 06:27 AM   #28
IVW

Congratulations Steph! It makes me happy to hear good news like yours. I will share my story to encourage others with brain mets as I have been doing well also.

It has been 2 years since I was treated for brain mets and I am still NED. It has been 8 years since my original diagnosis. As you read this story please note that I have been having a normal life, except for my initial treatment in 1999 when I needed help with my three children (at the time ages 1, 4, 7).

1999 - At age 39, I was diagnose with breast cancer: 5 tumors in right breast, 20/36 nodes involved, ER+/PR-, Her2+++. I had a modifed radical mastectomy followed by high doses of Adriamycin then Taxol, then Cytoxin (this was a reasearch study). Then a month later radiation for 25 days. Finally I was put on tamoxifen and declared NED for about 2.5 years,

2002 - Tumor markers started going up and tiny bone mets showed up after that. I switched to Aromasin and Zoladex and continued on that for about a year with a very slow progression of the cancer.

2004 - With my ca 27-29 in the 400's and my cea something like 36 and a tiny spot on my liver and maybe my lung, I switched to Herceptin and Navelbine weekly, Zometa every three weeks. In about 6 months, tumor marker were normal, scans looked great. Continued this combo. for 6 more months.

2005 - Cut back to Herceptin/Navelbine every 3 weeks/zometa quarterly.

2005 - Brain mets arrive. One 2.9 cm and two more tiny ones. My symptom was weird visual disturbances. WBR for 21 days while continuing Herceptin/Navelbine. Three months later Stereotactic radiosurgery (same idea as cyberknife) on the remnants of the big tumor.

2007 - Still NED in body and brain. I continue getting Herceptin every three weeks. I get MRIs of my brain ever 3 months, ct scans lungs and pelvis every 4 months along with muga and bone scans. TOMORROW 8/9/07 I get my next brain scan. Wish me luck!

I.V.W.

Stage 4 for five years and still going strong.
IVW is offline   Reply With Quote