View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 11:25 PM   #4
gdpawel

Flori

One of my sister-in-laws had a masectomy and breast reconstruction last month. At the same time! Marvelous what they can do with surgical technique these days. She had breast cancer fourteen years ago and had a lumpectomy with some spot radiation. She always kept vigilant and spotted this one early. It was another primary and treated it as such. She decided on a masectomy this time and nothing else.

Speaking of marvelous surgical technique, her husband didn't want her to go through her cancer alone. He had the da Vinci Surgical System for prostate cancer earilier this month. It is a sophisticated robotic platform designed to enable complex surgery using a minimally invasive approach. I don't know if I would want to go that far in experiencing my wife's cancer by having it myself.

I remember my dad having bypass surgery in 1983. Today, they are doing the same thing without cutting them open. My wife always felt that surgery was the way to go. She felt that surgeons were the true advocates for the best cancer care for patients.
gdpawel is offline   Reply With Quote