View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #25
Chelee

Re: Recommendation from my 2nd opinion...

I'm on information overload and just want to get the ball rolling with something. I really want to do this TDM1 trial...but depending on who you talk to you hear different stories. But someone on this board did clear something up for me that even Dr. Slamon's office didn't mention. There are about seven different trials with TDM1. One place I called said it was a double blind study...I am not interested in any studies where I might get a placebo.
But the study from Dr. Slamon's office shows two arms & it says its Herceptin-MCC-DM1 vs. Herceptin, & Taxotere. So you are getting a drug either way. The only thing is Dr. Slamon made it sound like I would be getting the TDM1 no matter what. I even called his NP and she understood it the same way. He said he did not want me on chemo...and Taxotere is a taxane which is chemo...not that I have to tell any of you that. Ha!

My onc will be back Monday so I'll call her about all this. I also talked to another onc at my center & he said even though I had the loading dose of herceptin & I'm due for my 2nd one this Monday...I could wait as late as Thursday to take it & it wouldn't hurt anything. Plus I still have Dr. Mortimer at COH Thursday.

Schoonder I did call Genentech today asking where I could find an open study. But I might try again Monday and present my situation and see if someone can pull some strings to get me in this study. Dr. Slamon really seemed to think this was the best way for me to go and I trust him. I have so much to get worked out and I'm just mentally and emotionally exhausted right now. This is all so time consuming...I just want to start hitting this cancer with something.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote