View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 10:48 AM   #3
Margerie

Ceesun,

I didn't feel "amputated" either. Really, where do these surgeons get these ideas?

I woke up with one breast gone. It was simple as that. I really had no idea how it would look as I went into surgery quickly after diagnosis and was only 38 at the time. I had a bunch of staples- which looked frankensteinish. And the drains were a pain. I had so much ahead of me (chemo, rads, etc.) that I really didn't feel affected much by the mastectomy. I got a breast prosthesis- we had a tumultuous relationship. Loved it/hated it kinda thing. It looked great in a bra, but was a pain to deal with.

Anyway, there were some issues the first few times my husband and I were initimate. I mean how could there not? But you learn that you are more than 2 natural breasts- or one or reconstructed or not. There are the little things. We go to the ballet regularly- and I couldn't stop watching the beautiful breasts for awhile.

I am now happily reconstructed and life goes on.
Sometimes I am worried about my scars showing. Sometimes I spill salsa on my cleavage in a restaraunt and don't feel it. I then chew my DH out about it later. Really, honey you need to be on boob watch.

Wishing you the best during your treatment. I hope your surgery doesn't take too much of an emotional toll. I tend to make light of my own situation, that is how I deal. Hope I don't offend anyone- mastectomy is not pretty, but can be overcome!!

Will be thinking of you

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote