View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 02:35 PM   #5
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Talking STRONG, BRAVE and DETERMINED

In '95 I had a tumor the size of my hand in my left breast. It wasn't "a lumP', it was a general hardness. Invasive lobular carcinoma. 4 lymph nodes out 18 malignant. I had a mastectomy and tram flap reconstructive surgery. 4 Adriamycin and 8 every 3 wks. CMF. Chest/abdomen/pelvic CT scans every 8 wks. DONE. In Aug. '98 my every 4 month blood showed VERY SLIGHTLY ELEVATED liver enzymes. I wouldn't worry about it said doc #1. 4 months later same scenario. It could be coming from the Tamoxifen you're on, said doc #2. Don't worry. 4 months later, I swear, back w/doc #1 he tells me to forget about it. I ask for a liver sono. Didn't even know what to ask for. I guess that could be substantiated. Okay, if you want, I'll write a scrip for an abdominal sonogram. That doc sent me for a CT scan. Liver biopsy followed. I was lucky they got right in in 1 try. I was not lucky in that it showed a malignancy. Multiple tumors throughout my liver, and subsequent tests showed it was growing before our eyes. I asked to be tested for Her-2NEU, trying to get in a clinical trial, thinking somehow I would be +. Docs said you can't wait. Start chemo NOW. (Besides, I didn't qualify for trials. Had too much Adriamycin.) Sept. '98 I began Taxotere. You have a very aggressive form of breast cancer. Taxotere is the most powerful weapon we have in our arsenal. It was damn tough. I had every side effect possible. Still, each 8 wk. CT scan showed some shrinkage. I got exact measurements of each and every tumor. My husband would figure the sq. root and we'd cheer. At the end of May '99 I just could not tolerate any more. (BY the way, Refresh + every single hour a day helps the tearing issue, and I would guess help the sinus problem. Ayr, also just saline and cannot be overused is great for sinus issues.) I was HER2+ 80%. I was elated. Because w/ me they knew what was causing my cancer, my defective Her2 gene. And, at the end of Sept. '98 the FDA fast-tracked Herceptin to be available for everyone. I began in Nov. '98 (side-tracked a bit my shingles due to Taxotere). Found it fast. Treated it immediately. 10 days later, after a hell of a lot of pain, I was good to go. After May '99 I continued Herceptin wkly. In Jan. '01 I started taking Herceptin triple dosages every 3 wks. I believe it has saved my life. I continue on it. I've spoken to Ginger. Neither of us feels comfortable stopping it. I see it as insulin for a diabetic. I get ECHO cardiograms every 6 months to be sure the possible heart problems are averted. I have a small amount of fluid around the heart. That remains stable, which is good. My EF (ejection fraction) is 55%, and I feel great. Occasionally my red blood cells plummet. Procrit got it right up in a wk. Now Aranesp does the job, and better. It keeps my #s up for longer. Living on Herceptin means fatigue, especially when the red cells are low. I'm 61 and have the same memory issues my 30 something daughters have. I don't think it's age, and I don't think it's chemo brain. I have lived to welcome 4 grandchildren into this world. I am active, joyful, serene, passionate about writing and getting the Message out there that WE ALL HAVE THE POWER TO HEAL. THE MIND/BODY CONNECTION IS NOT A PHENOMENON. IT IS A FACT. When FEAR strikes, as it does from time to time -- I walk right through it. I experience it if I have no choice, I even wallow for a few hours -- then I get back to basics. I consciously instruct my body to HEAL. HEAL. STAY HEALTHY AND WELL. I get back to my core. I meditate. Visualize myself far into the future, in vivid detail. I carry that image w/ me wherever I go. I feel in charge. I feel connected to my Spirit, which is all powerful. I feel connected to Life itself. I'm in sync. And I'm staying put. YOU DO THE SAME!

With love and healing energy sent to all you brave Souls out there!
ANDI
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote