View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
Becky

I meant to comment and didn't. I should have. Depending on your stage, far more women will NOT recur. Even women who are diagnosed at Stage 4 have almost a 50% shot of not recurring after initial successful therapy.

There are many theories in regard to cancer in general. I am sure ALL are true -

One is that chemo completely anniliates everything and you are cured. I am sure this is true for many people.

Another is that some cells become dormant. They may awaken or they may not. We know this is true, especially for those who recur much further out from treatment (years and years).

Another is the stem cell theory which can hold true for upfront recurrences and later ones.

Regardless, taking good care of yourself results in a strong immune system that helps prevent recurrence and completely new cancers. This is what you should dwell on - good health to live your life to the fullest (being disabled by any disease state will really screw up any future plan).

By the way - in my local support group we have many, many 20+ yr survivors. Those that did pass away died from something else.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote