View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
bevilj

Swollen Pituitary Gland/Optic Nerve

Hi All,

For the last several weeks I have been getting sick regularly (vomiting/headaches/double vision). I think I have spent more time in bed than out of bed. My tumor markers have been good lately so I was thinking it was a reaction to my meds (I tend to get every side affect listed).

I had a brain MRI last week and received mixed/interesting results. Luckily, no brain mets were found. But, my pituitary gland and optic nerve seem to be swollen. I have stumped my oncologist and the cancer board at the hospital and am now being referred to an endocrinologist for further investigation. A few possible diagnoses have been suggested but nothing really definitive at this point. In the meantime, I have started on a steroid to help with the inflammation and help me gain weight.

Has anyone had anything similar show up on an MRI? If so, what have you done to treat it? Does it go away?

Thanks in advance any guidance you have to offer ~
Jen
10/09 - Started Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin, Zometa. Hospitalized with Tetany.
1/10 - Finished Taxotere, Carbo, continued Herceptin, Zometa. PET/CT - improvement.
2-3/10 - Rads (25 rounds).
8/10 – inflammation vs. malignancy?
1/11 – progression. started Xeloda.
9/11 – progression. pancreatitis or tumor? Chest ‘rash’ appeared.
10/11 – confirmed pancreatitis. Halted Xeloda.
11/11 – skin mets confirmed.
12/11 - started Tykerb, back on Xeloda.
1/12 – cut Xeloda dose in ½. skin mets fading!
4/12 - no more Xeloda. skin mets resolved.
8/12 - brain mets found.
9/12 - gamma knife and fractionated brain radiation.
1/13 - progression throughout body. brain mets shrunk/resolved. no more Tykerb.
2/13 - starting T-DM1 trial.
bevilj is offline   Reply With Quote