View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #10
'lizbeth

Re: Mandamoo's legacy

Ladies,

We tossed the numbers around before and there is reporting that early stage has a 98-99% survival rate from ACS, and likely SEERS. It just doesn't make sense. The board (okay mostly me likely) has discussed a relapse rate of 20-30%. I think the number is based on 5 year survival and that time frame probably gets dropped.

Based on the Spanish study we've been dissecting there was another round of recurrence that peaked after the 5 year window. Thus, my enthusiasm about better tracking of who & when, and considering Herceptin boosters.

I read the article and frankly was offended by the different shades of pink comment.

Quote:
Surely this October - 28 years after the breast cancer awareness month was established internationally - we can acknowledge that pink can have many shades, some lighter, some darker, but all the same colour. And that not all Pink Ribbon stories will have a happy ending, but they all deserve to be told.
Carole Renouf is CEO of National Breast Cancer Foundation.
Ms. Renouf frankly didn't get Amanda's message. Mandamoo wasn't a pink ribbon story. She was an active wife and mother who suffered the misfortune of cancer. Amanda hated The Pink so much that she banned it from her funeral. She was not "a darker shade of pink". That is offensive and belittling. She was a cancer patient who progressed to Metastatic Breast Cancer which caused her death.
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote