View Single Post
Old 05-29-2006, 09:18 AM   #11
R.B.

Re impacts of fat phobic diets

I am NOT suggesting that anybody who has referred to being lean and fit as annorexic.

The point I am trying to illustrate is that some very fit people are very fat intake quantity but not type concious, which could give rise to huge omega three six imbalances, and MAY help explain why it is not just absolute weight that is a factor in BC.

I have postulated the scenario before but this is rather more authoritative and too the point.

RB

1: Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2004 Oct;71(4):205-9. Related Articles, Links
Click here to read
A pilot open case series of ethyl-EPA supplementation in the treatment of anorexia nervosa.

Ayton AK, Azaz A, Horrobin DF.

Hull and East Riding Hospitals Trust, UK.

Anorexia nervosa (AN) carries the highest risk of morbidity and mortality amongst psychiatric disorders. The efficacy of current treatment approaches is limited. Despite the fat-phobic nature of the disease, poly-unsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) have not received much research attention. Patients who consume western diet, which is rich in n-6 PUFAs and trans-fatty acids, are likely to develop severe n-3 PUFA deficiency during self-induced starvation. Re-feeding programmes do not take into consideration n-3 EFA intake, possibly leading to further n-3 PUFA deficiency during weight restoration, and this might contribute to the maintenance of the disorder. To test this hypothesis, we carried out a systematic case series of E-EPA supplementation in the treatment of AN. Seven young patients received 1g/day E-EPA in addition to standard treatment, and were followed up for 3 months. Three of them recovered and four improved. Randomised controlled trials are warranted to examine the effectiveness of E-EPA in AN further.

Publication Types:

* Clinical Trial

PMID: 15301789 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote