View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Mary Jo

Effexor Question

It's been awhile since I needed to ask for some help or opinions but that is what I am seeking.

Since chemo started in 2005 I have been having HORRIBLE hot flashes. In the 7 years I have had barely a break in them and the severity this past year is as bad as when I was on chemo. Not fun. I keep telling myself it's better than having cancer again or going through chemo. And, it is. However, I get so many during a day AND night that it is physically and mentally draining. I've even started noticing more depression/anxiety that I'm sure is related to sleep deprivation and hormone imbalance.

My GYN recommeded a low dose Effexor 37.5 mg. (I am on the generic though). I took my first one today. I take NO prescription meds and it bothers me to take this one but what bothers me isn't taking it (cause I hope it helps) but it's what I've read about getting off of it that scares me. Seeing as I only took 1, it isn't too soon to stop cold turkey. I don't want to stop cause I want to feel better BUT I don't want to go through hell when I stop them. OHHHHHHH, I'm so confused. HELP!

Any advice from you guys would be appreciated.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED