View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
Lucy

Re: Lymphovascular invasion / survivors ?

I also had lymphovascular invasion and was stage 1. My oncologist was not concerned about it - none of my doctors were. I was told it meant there were cancers cells in the blood vessels in my breast. That freaked me out because blood can move throughout the body so quickly and I worried that that meant there could be cancer cells anywhere in my body. I was told that it wasn't a concern and that the fact that no lymph nodes were involved was a good thing. It's still something I think about but I have to trust my doctors and I don't dwell on it much now.

That said, radiation was something that was possible in my case but it wasn't a given. I opted for a double mastectomy without reconstruction and since it was stage 1, radiation was not needed. I was told that if I got a lumpectomy that radiation was STRONGLY recommended (they can't make you do anything but they can tell you what will happen if you follow their recommendations). So your doctor may not mean to be vague but just seems that way because they deal with this day in and day out and may not realize you don't have all the information they do.

Good luck!
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote