Thread: Teeth
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #22
suzan w

Re: Teeth

Thank you all for these responses. Very helpful, interesting. Yesterday I met a woman at the beach...cancer survivor (throat and soft palate) treated with heavy radiation, hyperbaric chamber, etc...bottom line, cannot have extractions etc. due to osteonecrosis fears...she is having terrible teeth issues too. Coincidentally seeing my same dentist, paying out of pocket a 5 figure $$$, as am I . It was very reassuring to meet and talk with her.
So, here is my update, I have had all my front teeth (16) prepped for special crowns (no metal) and am now in temporaries. The permanent crowns will go in in 3 weeks. At that time, I will have the remaining molars, 12, prepped for crowns, temporaries, etc. 3 more weeks to final crowns. All these procedures are done under sedation. What an ordeal!!! I will also have a night guard (I am a grinder too!) Also will need to have special cleaning procedure done every 3 months.
Not complaining, no regrets, glad to be alive and NED. Again, thank you all for chiming in. In the general scheme of what so many of us are dealing with on a daily basis, teeth do seem rather trivial...but critical!!!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!

Last edited by suzan w; 07-12-2015 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: add info
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote