View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
mamacze

Re: Tumor Profiling Lab Tests

Hi Joan (and sweet Amanda et al!),

Me again...thank you for your thoughtful responses.
It looks like you too, Joan, share this nice long dance
with NED. I am sure you are making the most of it. To answer your questions:

Which FDA-approved drugs did the lab suggest for your mutations?

Precipio Diagnostics Lab report states that "The mTor inhibitor everolimus, used in combination with aromatase inhibitors, has recently been shown to improve the outcomes of women with HR-positive breast cancer who have failed prior treatment with aromatase inhibitors alone.(Baselga et.al 2012)"
and as you know, according to cancer.gov:
"On July 20, 2012, the FDA approved everolimus tablets (Afinitor®, made by Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation) for the treatment of postmenopausal women with advanced hormone receptor-positive, HER2-negative breast cancer in combination with exemestane, after failure of treatment with letrozole or anastrozole. "

Yes my mets are still Her2+++.

Fortunately for me, my tumor is still responding to regular infusions of Herceptin. But it is nice to know the above tumor information in the event I have an urgent need for a Plan B.

Were the suggested clinical trials for only advanced breast cancer patients? And was having the mutation the only criteria for the trial?

No the suggested clinical trial is not only for metastatic breast cancer but for other cancers as well. The mutation was one criteria among others for eligibility.

Overall I found the tumor profiling report to be informative and quite helpful. I certainly don't think it is "the answer" for all metastatic patients, but for those of us who have mets and who are also found to have a treatable mutation - golly; I just don't see a downside.

Also as a pleasant aside; my insurance confirmed to me yesterday that this tumor profile test is covered.

Thank you again Joan and Amanda Chrisy and Rhonda for your great feedback. We need to continue linking arms, be vigilant and strong as we seek out and use new diagnostic and treatment modalities!

Love you all,
Kim (from CT)

2004 - Stage 4, mets to 4 lobes of lungs and liver, lumpectomy, er/pr -, her2 neu+++, Herceptin and Navelbine then Herceptin only.

2005 - Breast Ca vaccinations with the Tumor Vaccine Group in Seattle

2011 - Still Herceptin only and NED

2011, June - STOPPED Herceptin and kicked up my heels!

2012, February - 1 small tumor came back to haunt me in my lungs - back on Herceptin only, tumor stable.

2015, November - tumor on lungs removed (Segmentectomy), back on Herceptin only
Received U of W vaccine clinical "booster" Vaccine

2022 On Herceptin and NED continues - WOOT WOOT!
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote