View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
DianeF

Re: Early Stage BC and Herceptin Treatment???

Hi Ralph,

1) What is your age? I was 49 at diagnosis
2) How active are you (sports) and were you able to continue as usual? I was very active in my volunteer work at an equestrian center for disabled riders and also rode frequently. I was not able to continue right away, but it was due to extensive surgery, rather than herceptin. I had a mastectomy and tram flap reconstruction. I have also had several revision surgeries. The herceptin has not limited my activity at all.

We play a lot of tennis (leagues/tournaments). I'm just wondering if she will need to limit her activity given a Herceptin and possibly Chemo regiment. This as the expected long term treatment and as the surgeon hinted; given he has discussed her case with the Oncologist team already. We won't actually meet with them for another 1 1/2 weeks (scheduling) to discuss all that. I did not have chemo, so I really can't speak to that. I have heard some people carry on as usual and others do not fare so well.

3) What was your regiment schedule? I mean did you take Herceptin at the same time as other treatments or finish one and then begin another? Shortly after my mastectomy I began tamoxifen. I will take that for three years then switch to arimidex. Approximately a month following surgery, I began herceptin treatment.

4) Did you take Herceptin every three weeks for one year? Yes, with three more treatments to go.

5) Lastly, what Chemotherapy did your Oncologist offer and what did she consider to be "light Chemo"? We didn't get into specifics. I do know that she would not have given me TCH. I think it was going to be taxol alone, but memory may fail.

I should add that my tumor was grade 1. This is unusual for her2+ patients. This may have factored in to my treatment plan.
DianeF is offline   Reply With Quote