View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
RalphIII

Thumbs down Re: Early Stage BC and Herceptin Treatment???

Thanks for the input ladies.....

We met with the surgeon today and got the final pathology report. There was one dissapointing aspect but truly minor and as it errs on the side of caution. The surgeon achieved clear margins but one part wasn't to the degree he desired. So we are scheduled to undergo surgery again next Friday to remove a little more of the area where the tumor was. The surgeon wants to insert an IV port and will do so at that time also. So it really isn't much of a set back. We just weren't prepared to hear that at the moment but feel better about it now.

Final results:

Estrogen +
Progesterone +
Her2 + (3)
Ki-67 (IHC) 50%
Tumor .9 cm
Lymph nodes(2 tested) -- (negative)

Grade III (8-9) (Nottingham) 2,3,3

Quote:
quote DianeF: "Yes, I am currently undergoing herceptin treatments. I have only three left. I had early stage breast cancer, triple positive and the tumor was only .6 cm, no lymph node involvement. My oncologist's recommendation was herceptin only, but she would have also offered "light chemo" if I wanted to go down that road. I have virtually no side effects from the herceptin and would definitely recommend it. It gives me a bit more peace of mind."
Thanks DianeF! Do you mind if I ask a few question of you?

1) What is your age?
2) How active are you (sports) and were you able to continue as usual?

We play a lot of tennis (leagues/tournaments). I'm just wondering if she will need to limit her activity given a Herceptin and possibly Chemo regiment. This as the expected long term treatment and as the surgeon hinted; given he has discussed her case with the Oncologist team already. We won't actually meet with them for another 1 1/2 weeks (scheduling) to discuss all that.

3) What was your regiment schedule? I mean did you take Herceptin at the same time as other treatments or finish one and then begin another?

4) Did you take Herceptin every three weeks for one year?

5) Lastly, what Chemotherapy did your Oncologist offer and what did she consider to be "light Chemo"?

Take care,
Ralph

P.S. Congrats on finishing up with the Herceptin soon and I pray you have a total and full recovery...
RalphIII is offline   Reply With Quote