Thread: Good Advice?
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Joe
Webmaster

Good Advice?

I found this on the National Breast Cancer Coalition's website and beg to differ. In 1990, my wife Christine discovered a lump in her breast while doing a self exam in the shower 2 months after having a clear mammogram.
Nine years later in 1999, she discovered an enlarged node in her neck again while taking a shower. She had to fight with her primary physician to obtain a referral for a breast surgeon. The node was biopsied and found to be malignant. She was restaged and found to have metasthesis to her chest wall and several metastatic brain tumors. She was treated and is still in remission today.

I am just curious, how many women on this board discovered their tumors through a breast self exam?

Regards
Joe

Myth #1: Monthly breast self exams save lives

FALSE. The evidence actually shows that breast self-exam (BSE) does not save lives or detect breast cancer at an earlier stage.

For decades, women age 20 and older have studied shower cards, read pamphlets, watched videos and prodded silicon breast models to find a hidden lump - each resource teaching BSE as a life-saving personal responsibility. Seems to make sense. In reality, there is no scientific evidence to prove this is true. In fact, the studies that have been done show an increase in potential harm from monthly, regimented BSE including elevated anxiety, more frequent physician visits and unnecessary biopsies of benign lumps.

Many organizations share NBCC’s viewpoint on BSE. The National Cancer Institute (NCI) no longer prints a BSE guide; the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force states that "the evidence is insufficient to recommend for or against teaching or performing routine breast self-examination"; and the American Cancer Society is phasing out materials that focus only on breast self-exam.
For more detailed information and specific clinical trial evidence analysis, read NBCC’s position paper on BSE. Learn how to make a difference in the world of breast cancer at StopBreastCancer.org.
Get OUT of the Shower, Get Angry, Get Educated, Take Action: download NBCC’s breast self exam shower card and learn more.

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote