View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 03:56 AM   #33
sarah

Re: Chime in please! Has herceptin (or tykerb)affected your eyebrows/lashes,fingers/t

Hello Lani, and a thought for R.B. also:
1)were you ever on herceptin alone - Yes for 5 1/2 years

2)how long after chemo were you on herceptin - Had Taxol and Herceptin for 6 months then Herceptin alone - with Femara for 5 1/2 years

3)was anyone on herceptin without chemo - Only after having Taxol with herceptin first see answer 1&2

4)were you also on antihormonals - Yes I took AIs, Femara for the same time I had Herceptin alone -- 5 1/2 years

5) a)did you notice any problems with your eyebrows ?b) eyelashes?c) did they preceed herceptin, d)did they get better/worse on herceptin.e) did they get better after herceptin stopped?

Ok - lost head hair, legs, etc during Taxol/Herceptin. after stopped Taxol, head hair grew back thicker but still hardly any hair anywhere else, except some eye lashes but basically very thin or no eyebrows on side.
During chemo, heavy skin problems, toenails loose and discolored, extremely dry skin, skin rashes, cataracts started (but I'm old so....), broken fingernails, fatigue
on Herceptin and Femara: still no hair or little, brittle nails particularly on hands, extremely dry skin, itchy rashes.

6) Off Herceptin and Femara for 4 months, no changes - same problems

Note for Lani: I stopped all supplements during chemo but started them after I stopped chemo.
Among the supplements I take are Tumeric/Curcurmin and Omega 3 - recently a friend who takes these (has Her2 bc) developed an itchy bruise like patch on her arm, her GP, who's an internist said it was due to these supplements and I happened to have dinner with him recently and he re-confirmed that these supplements can cause rashes - often itchy pinprick size spots which is exactly what I have. I thought it was a sun allergy or to plants in my garden and cover up totally outside but - it's now cold here and my arms are rarely exposed and it still persists.

Hope that covers all of your questions.

Thank you Lani for keeping us so informed and researching these things and understanding them!
health and happiness
love sarah