View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
snolan

Re: fluid build up after tissue expanders placed drains out

I had this problem and was on antibiotics for 3 months and went in to get it drained 2-3 times a week. Placed drains back in and it wouldn't stop producing fluid. Had to take the expander out due to fact that I was supposed to start radiation and couldn't with the fluid and infection. Turned out my PS said I had a seroma under the expander that he wouldn't have been able to reach so nothing we would have done would have helped. I did have some issues with fluid after reconstruction had additional drains in for 5 weeks and it fell out but turned out that a few days later the fluid accumalation stopped and reabsorbed. It was very frustrating as I am sure you are. My PS had recommended taking out the expander from the beginning but I was stubbon and wanted to keep it so I wouldn't have to to the recontruction with the lat flap. He was right in the end, guess thats why he has MD after his name and I don't. Hope this resolves for you I know how frustrating it can be.
Suzanne
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote