View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 08:10 AM   #45
Vi Schorpp

Debbie

Your post was so sincere and succinct. I agree that society tends to "protect" us from death and dying and agree with you that it is part of the natural life cycle. I personally think the reluctance on the part of many to have a memorial site is that this site was designed to inform and empower all who visit the site. Most of us who visited this site for the first time were filled with an overwhelming feeling of dread and unimaginable fear. To see a memorial site might stop people in their tracks. I'm not saying that's rational, but when we feel so vulnerable and afraid I think that's an honest response.

However, I do agree with you that reading of all of the members living (and living vibrantly) with this disease is very helpful and vital. What helped me to dream of a future was reading the survivors' stories posted here.

As we become part of this community we become attached to many of the members. From this attachment we follow the success and struggles of so many and become like family and friends. As such, we want to memorialize them because they meant so very much to us. I liked Lee's suggestion of a chapel, and thought that made a lot of sense.

I respect Joe and Christine's inclination not to have a memorial site. Maybe someone on this board may want to take charge of creating a memorial site apart from this board. I'm not talented enough, but I'm sure someone is.
Vi Schorpp is offline   Reply With Quote