View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
Unregistered

Re: Pre-meds and Navelbine

Hi: I have been lurking for several weeks on several of these threads as I had a lot of questions on several chemo treatments.
I had originally been diagnosed in 2008 with breast cancer - had a mastectomy and restructuring at the same time. Chemo for four months followed by a year of Herceptin which was interrupted with a lymph dissection, followed by radiation. Herceptin continued till December 2009. Herceptin didn't work and I found a node in my neck March 2011 and after CT Scan found mets in my lungs. I found out my oncol tried to get me in the TDM-1 trials here but I was turned down because of the lymph node dissection in 2009 which the trials say it was a reoccurrence of the cancer even though my oncol said "NO" it was a node left from original surgery.
So I went on Xeloda and Tykerb starting June 2011, Didn't work, mets in the lungs progressed. I am supposed to start Navelbine next week and until than I am on oxy and dexamethasone for 10 days.
I didn't know about this steroid before - or is this same one that I would have been given while on taxol? If it is, I am thinking of refusing any more after this 10 days of prescription.

I don't have much hope but I have asked my oncol to advocate on my behalf to the drug co. for a "compassionate release" of the TDM-1. Is there anyone that has done this?

Thank for letting me sound off
Gail